Billed as the "search for the next YouTube sensation", Cell C has launched a new mobile TV reality show, #BreakTheNet. Cell C plans to start its own video-on-demand (VOD) service and hopes to cash in on the "trending" social media craze with user-videos that end up going viral.
By downloading the specifically designed Cell C Reality App from the Apple App store or the Google Play store, people can enter from Thursday 15 September until 15 October to become one of the 30 contestants on the show.
How it works
- Create a mad hot one minute video. What counts as hot? You have YouTube, work it out.
- From 15 September - 15 October, you can upload your video on the Cell C Reality App. Anyone can enter, but only Cell C subscribers can win prizes.
- Once entries close, our mentors will pick 30 videos to become our chosen, shortlisted few.
- The 30 contestants will be given 5 challenges for the next 8 weeks. The first on 23 October.
- They'll have 48 hours to create and upload their video, and then get it to go viral. And just like all internet stars, the ultimate winner will be chosen based on how many views they get.
The first episode of #BreakTheNet will be shown on 19:00 on Sunday 23 October on the Cell C Channel on YouTube. Prizes include the chance to win R250 000 and a trip to Hollywood, Los Angeles.
Find out more here.